Wow, I had no idea it was September 11th until I looked at the date to write this entry. I’ve just finished my first week of classes and things are going pretty well so far. Yesterday was “Teacher’s Day” so I got a lot of messages from students and a gift from one of my classes. The international office is pretty nice to us- we got a huge bouquet of flowers and 200RMB as a gift. That evening, there was a presentation to teachers who were voted as being the best by students last year followed by a choral singing competition. Very elaborate and most of the songs had the word “red” in the song- as the highly anticipated 60 year anniversary of the PRC is coming at the end of this month.
This week, I also got the internet again (although it has been pretty intermittent for the past day.. L). This opens up the possibility of starting my job search for this coming spring. I’m hoping for a multinational company where my Chinese skills will be put to good use, but we’ll see what I find. I think for now my approach will be more a matter of applying to lots and lots of jobs and then seeing where I hear things back.
I am now the proud owner of a “Shanghai Forever” bicycle. It is black with a little basket in the front (sadly, no bell though). I think all the new foreign teachers also have a bicycle now too. We are going to start a biker gang this weekend cruising around Lin’an. Or at least looking for some black spray paint- I’m hoping to spruce up the railing on my porch.
The evenings are starting to get cooler, thankfully. It was actually cool enough in the evening that I had to *gasp* wear pants to bed. Morten and I have started a semi-vigorous exercise routine with weight lifting every other day in the teachers’ free gym and running at 6AM on the days we don’t lift. I think the exercise will help clear my head and make me feel better all around. Morten was also going to inquire about potential tai chi classes which I think would be an amazing way to start my morning. Because I am a traditional old Chinese man.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment